Monday, September 20, 2010

Yellow Crownbeard, Turtlehead, and Virginia Spiderwort

I have been spreading mulch this week, so have enjoyed inspecting my native plants closely. Just as advertised, most survived the summer heat and drought with little artificial watering. They survived, but didn't truly thrive.

But in any case, like every gardener of native plants, I can't wait until next year to see where they will spread. The Wild Columbine, Wild Comfry, and Golden Ragwort, which bloomed in the early spring, spread nicely and as I mulched I was careful not to bury their offspring. Another surprise in the garden were the many American Beautyberry plants that were coming up where I tossed seeds last year. Success! These plants are all offspring of parent plants that live in New Quarter Park.

The fall bloomers are beginning to show off their color. The Yellow Crownbeard that I've been watching for a few weeks now has finally begun to bloom! Along with plants come bugs, and I noticed that aphids were enjoying the phloem along a couple of the six-foot tall Yellow Crownbeard stalks.

I have several Turtleheads. The plants closest to my goldfish pond are the prettiest: green spires with soft pillows of purplish pink. I planted three Turtlheads in my front yard in a prime spot: the center of the bed in front of the sidewalk. Unfortunately, the deer made a path across my open front yard to the bed where the buds and leaves of the plant were moist and tasty. Although the plants were reduced to stalks, I suppose I have to be happy that the deer found something to eat during those horrid, hot weeks of July and August.

One of the loveliest flowers blooming now is the Virginia Spiderwort. It bloomed earlier this year, gave up during the heat, and is blooming again now. The flowers last just one day, so I'm pleased when one blooms in a perfect spot for a photograph. I bought a Virginia Spiderwort at a Virginia Native Plant Society sale a couple of years ago and have divided in several times. Wherever I plant it, I am rewarded with its lush green stems and leaves followed by simply elegant flowers that remind me to live well for the day is short.

A friend dropped by late yesterday, when I was relaxing on the deck with a glass of wine to relax my tired legs. She called my yard a park. How nice! Usually a yard given over to native plants looks chaotic, but a fresh top-cover of mulch brings order. The dark color provides a strong contrast for greenery and flowers.

No comments: