Friday, September 17, 2010

Art, History, & Nature: A Convergence of Interests at the National Gallery

This morning's Washington Post Style section included a review of an exhibition opening this Sunday at the National Gallery of Art, Arcimboldo 1526-1593: Nature & Fantasy. Hmmm. Shall I try to fit in a visit?

As a student at William and Mary I majored in history, but soon became fascinated with art history, and made it my second major. The eighteenth-century was of particular interest at first, but what student of Miles Chappell's wouldn't also enjoy the Renaissance and Baroque? At that time, I put all of the history and art periods and styles into neat boxes. But as time rolled on, the edges of the boxes softened and the contents of one links and enfolds with the contents of another. This cross-pollination began with a course in Art, History, and Music of the Eighteenth Century as a graduate student in art history and continues to this day as my husband, a music lover, continually challenges me to think about art that might illustrate music. At concerts, I often think about the historic climate that may have influenced the composer. (My husband is surprised at how I can do this. All he can consider is the pure music, he says.)

Atlantic World history is the new way of looking at the period of history and cultural development that is of greatest interest to me: the transition from Renaissance to Modern World. The work of Arcimboldo, a Hapsburg court artist, illustrates the flow from Renaissance European power as it embraced the New World. The worlds came together and moved forward. The wealthy and dominant Habsburgs intermarried with Spanish and Dutch monarchies and participated in the extraction of great wealth from their New World lands. They also extracted corn and eggplant, which made their way into court art by Arcimboldo.

Beginning in the 16th century, the arts and science bloomed. Fortunately, they could grow and prosper under rulers like Maximilian and his son Rudolf, as the work of Arcimboldo illustrates. Arcimboldo was a student of Leonardo's work. He was a scholar who certainly had access to developments, such as new scientific discoveries by the young Galileo. Knowledge and wit combined in this relatively peaceful and prosperous time in his allegorical and funny works of art. In an age where worthwhile art was figurative, he made the figure into a still life, an artistic style that was yet to be explored.

As an adult, I have learned more about the natural world by way of my concern for the environment. I have somehow managed to bring my love of history, art, and nature together in my work as a park interpreter and resident of the Historic Triangle, rich in museums and cultural offerings. Finally, as a Virginia Master Naturalist, I have gotten my hands dirty studying the particulars of flora and fauna that were first formalized in the disciplines of botany and zoology, which grew out of the Renaissance.

I think that it would be great fun to suggest a field trip to the National Gallery to my Historic Rivers Chapter VMN friends. I'm sure there are other Smithsonian exhibits available to complete the day. Anyone up for a trip?

No comments: