Monday, December 6, 2010

Cold feeder watching weekend

The Alberta Express blew through eastern Virginia over the weekend and we had a dusting of snow Saturday night. I thought for sure that the cold snap would bring in the birds (see my earlier blog post on this), but no such luck. At one point on Sunday morning my feeder got a little busy, but it was just the usual suspects.

This morning I saw my first white-throated sparrow of the season under the feeder. Yea! But other than that, the birds I reported to Project FeederWatch this morning were:

Red-bellied Woodpecker1
Downy Woodpecker2
Blue Jay1
Carolina Chickadee2
Tufted Titmouse3
Carolina Wren2
White-throated Sparrow1
Northern Cardinal1
House Finch2

I enjoyed watching a female red-bellied woodpecker fly back and forth between the safflower seed feeder (see her tail in the photo above?) and the woodpecker tree that we "planted" last spring. I wondered if she was stashing seeds in the holes she pecked? Or was she just alternating tasty bites of insect with the seeds? Birds always prefer insects. I believe that's what Doug Tallamy said in the Bringing Nature Home video that I watched last week at the Master Naturalists meeting.

No comments: