Friday, December 31, 2010

State of the World: A Year End Review


I've just finished reading State of the World 2010: Transforming Cultures: From Consumerism to Sustainability. Although I haven't quite formulated it yet, my New Year's resolution will certainly involve taking the book's message to heart.

I decided to read this because it's been nearly ten years since my environmental epiphany and I needed to do some deep thinking on this topic again. Back then, as a newbie 1980s M.B.A.-Turned-Vegetarian-Environmentalist, I knew that the consumerism I promoted was part of the problem, and I've made lots of changes to voluntarily simplify my life. But I've been getting discouraged lately. State of the World certainly puts the problem back in focus for me. That consumerism is at the heart and soul of the problem was put into great big, bold letters.

The book compiles essays on the roles of cultural traditions, education, business, government, and media in helping us move from the over-consumptive status quo to lifestyles that are sustainable, given our finite supply of natural resources. I am intrigued by the last section where several social movements are reviewed. Such social movements will be necessary to inspire people and teach them how to shift gears. In a world with less oil and more severe weather and disease, we will need new to learn to value simple happiness that is not propped up by material possessions.

Transition Towns are a movement intended to help people see that less is more. Off to read their website!

No comments: