Saturday, June 19, 2010

Kayaking at New Quarter Park


It was a beautiful morning for kayaking on Queen's Creek. There were eleven of us at BYOK (Bring Your Own Kayak), the third Saturday trip that I lead from New Quarter Park. We took it slow and enjoyed watching the marsh for activity, since it was low, low tide while we were out. Lots of fiddler crabs and I heard more than one Virginia Rail. We saw the usual assortment of Osprey, Eagles, Egrets, Great Blue Herons, swifts, and vultures. This Yellow-crowned Night Heron strutted around while I took a few photos. (I carry my old camera in the boat, so the picture isn't so great.)

Join me on a future BYOK. They're held every third Saturday from April to October at New Quarter Park (three miles from Williamsburg -- 1000 Lakeshead Drive, Williamsburg, VA). We meet at 9 a.m., put in by 9:30, and paddle until noon.

No comments: