Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fledgling Downy Woodpecker


I looked out of my bedroom window this morning and caught this fledgling downy woodpecker holding on to a branch of the two-story-plus crape myrtle tree that dominates my backyard view. He sat there blinking and looking a little dazed ... and held that position long enough for me to run downstairs to get my camera. I got back to find him still getting his bearings on the world. I snapped a few pictures until he was finally unnerved by the noise behind the window and took off for the wide world.

I've seen quite a few fledgling downies at the Bark Butter feeder that is suction-cupped to my living room window. However this is the smallest and perhaps the youngest one I've seen. I estimate that he was about three inches long and about the size of my thumb.

No comments: