Monday, June 6, 2011

"Inch by inch, row by row . . .

Gonna make this garden grow
. . . Tune my body and my brain
To the music from the land"

I heard David Mallet perform the Garden Song at the Williamsburg Regional Library about 5 years ago. I can heard him and I sing along every time I walk through my little garden gate. I do indeed love to watch my garden grow.

We had about an inch of rain on Sunday, so I took a look-see afterwards. The lettuce and dill continue to give me more than enough for salads and seasonings. And I'm due to pick sugar snap peas again today or tomorrow. I was delighted to see a dozen or so baby crookneck squash on the three squash plants. I pulled up a carrot to check on them again. They are about 4 inches long now, but still a ways to go.

There are plenty of tomatoes, but it may also be a week or more until they are ready to pick. One of my favorite herbs is basil and the plants in the garden are finally taking off. I have lots more basil in pots on my deck, where I get the most sun of any spot in my yard. The tree canopy is wonderful, but it is indeed a challenge for me as a gardener. The pots on the deck are also full of hot pepper plants and sunflowers, as well as assorted other flowering plants.

The weather forecast calls for a hot and sunny week, which will be a fine follow-up to the rain. The bean vines should inch along quickly now. Unfortunately, they are growing on a wire trellis. I learned from the Nearing book that that is a no-no. The wire gets to hot for the tender pea and green bean vines. I'll have to correct that next year.

No comments: