Thursday, May 26, 2011

Purple and Gold: The Flowers are Celebrating Too

Coreopis on Catnip
How appropriate that the flowers in my yard are blooming in shades of purple and gold this month! My son graduated from James Madison University on May 7. A few days earlier, I received my acceptance letter to the DLVE-SLP M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology offered by JMU.

Virginia Spiderwort
I'm enjoying the month off between finishing up my SLP pre-requisites (my previous credits in history, art history, and business didn't apply!) and the official start of the Masters program on June 9. Of course, that means I've been spending lots of time tending the yard. It's been so much fun to watch things grow and the vegetable and flower gardens are lovely. My son is in between too, working at the Cheese Shop and William and Mary sports camps until his Graduate Assistantship and Master's degree program begins at the University of Tennessee in Chattanooga.

Near the end of the blooming
period for this Passion Flower 
The growing season started in March with first flower bloomers including daffodils and iris and buds growing on plants and trees like dogwoods. Things picked up in April when I enjoyed watching wild columbine and golden ragwort. Things have really taken off this month as the sun has gotten warmer. In the vegetable garden, I've been picking lettuce, spinach, dill, parsley, and basil for a couple of weeks now. Oh! And a strawberry or two. I have just two plants in my garden this year.

In the garden, the tomatoes and sugar snap peas are blooming and some of the spinach is blotting. The carrots are blooming underground. I picked one to see how they were doing the other day and came up with one about the length of a finger. I added it to a garden fresh salad for lunch.

I noticed the purple coneflowers (as seen in the Williamsburg Wordpecker banner) were starting to bloom yesterday!

No comments: