Thursday, October 28, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Just a few more days until Halloween! Since my children have left home, it's been a non-holiday for me. No one to dress up, no costume parts to find. Since we're in a relatively dark corner of the cul-de-sac, few trick-or-treaters stop by our house. But this year I am happy to report that I'm getting back into the fun.

As a volunteer at Child Development Resources, I accompanied "my" playgroup children and their parents, as well as CDR staff, to Pumpkinville in Toano. I've been volunteering with the group since last spring, so have developed a special relationship with some of the kids and enjoy knowing the staff and parents. I couldn't stop smiling as I watched my friends on the hayride. While watching parents take pictures of their children choosing pumpkins, I felt that little tug at my heart as I remembered taking Elizabeth and Lewis on similar outings to Belmont Farm in Mathews and Hunt's Farm in Lightfoot  (BTW, the picture of Hunt's Farm in my James City County book is of Elizabeth's kindergarten class walking to the barn to see apples and pumpkins during a field trip there!) 

I'm also volunteering with the speech teacher at Matthew Whaley Elementary School. I'm going in on Friday for a meeting and look forward to seeing all of the kids dressed up for the Halloween Parade, when the children stroll down to Merchants Square and back in their costumes. If you're in Williamsburg, its at 2:30 p.m. and not to be missed!

Earlier this morning, I pulled out a plastic pumpkin and filled it with the Halloween candy that Ken bought a week or more ago! Since he's been in the elementary schools for more than 30 years now, he's well aware of this holiday and knows how kids delight in its key attractions: dressing up and eating candy!

No comments: