Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Blood Moon and the Night

I woke up at 3:30, so why not? I had set up my camera earlier in the evening just in case. I took only half the amount of medication that I usually take at night; that way there was a possibility the aches and pains would wake me. My plan worked

I leashed Cici and gathered up the camera on its tripod. Out we traipsed into the quiet street, me in my pajamas and my Wonder Dog, a Jack Russell/Shih Tzu hybrid I'd rescued in the fall, growling at the shadows and the wind.

About halfway down our street, as though just for us, the clouds thinned long enough for me to plant my tripod and capture a dozen blurry photos of the historic Blood Moon. Other celestial objects, I learned from this mornings news, are Mars (at the closest point to the earth it will be in our lifetime), Saturn, and Spica (the 15th brightest star and the brightest star in the constellation Virgo).

At a little after 4 am, the clouds thickened. I waited, but that appeared to be my last look for the night. Cici was ready to go in. One last stop at the end of the driveway. No moon. A tug on the leash and we sneaked back inside. I took the other half of my medication and went back to bed.

No comments: