Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Peach Preserves


I couldn’t resist a big bag of peaches from Drumheller’s Orchard at the Williamsburg Farmer’s Market last Saturday, but since we weren’t eating them fast enough I preserved what was left today. In fact, I just had a piece of pound cake with the last little bit that that wouldn’t fit in a jar. Of course, not being one to let anything go to waste, I am now licking the plate and spoon. Yummy.

Peach preserves are perhaps the easiest to make since peaches create their own pectin and jell well. Here’s how I make them.

First, I get the water boiling in a large saucepan. I cut and “X” in the bottom of each peach and drop them into the boiling water and let them cook for about a half minute. With a slotted spoon, I pick them out of the hot water and shock them in a bowl filled with ice cubes and cold water. After a few minutes the peel slips off easily.

Now here’s where I become a country cook. I eyeball the peaches to decide about how many cups there are and put an equal about of sugar in a sauce pan. Actually, a little less will do if you don’t want them to be too sweet. Next, I cut up the peaches and drop them in the sauce pan. I add the juice of one lemon per 4 cups. So, if you measured and you had 4 cups of peaches and 4 cups of sugar, you’d add the juice of one lemon.

While bring the mixture to a boil I gather up jars and wash them well. Once the mixture comes to a boil, I turn the heat down to medium high and let them boil slowly for 20 minutes. I stir occasionally and mash the larger chunks of peach. I like big pieces of peach, but sometimes I mash them down with a potato masher. While the peaches are cooking, I put the clean jars in another pot of boiling water to prepare them for the preserves.

After 20 minutes, I turn off the heat and use tongs to lift out the first jar. I use a ladle to ladle in the peach mixture to within a half inch of the top. I fish the canning lid out of the boiling water and place it on the jar, then fish out its matching canning ring and screw it on tight. Viola. On to the next jar and the next until I’m down to the bottom, eyeing that last little bit that I can enjoy after I clean up. I usually hear the “pop” of the canning jar lid sealing about the time I sit down for my afternoon snack.

Saturday was spectacular at the Williamsburg Farmers Market and I came away with as much as I could lug back to the car. In addition to the peaches, I bought corn, tomatoes, and a variety of peppers. There were also lots of squash, herbs, lettuce, and such, but I already grow these in my garden. My tomatoes will be ripening soon! We’ve made dinner several nights lately with lots of tasty veggies from my favorite local food resources: my backyard and the Williamsburg Farmers Market.

Ooh! I just read an e-mail from the Corner Pocket about their offering tuna with peach salsa! Okay, that's next!

No comments: