Friday, April 23, 2010

Back in School


I recently discovered what I want to do with the rest of my life. About time, don't you think? So, here it is 26 years since I finished my M.B.A. that I find myself back in school and preparing for my first final exam in quite a while.

I've known for a long time that business isn't my cup of tea, but I couldn't quite figure out what else to do. I've been freelancing, mostly writing books and articles since dropping out of a full-time traditional business job in 2004. When my father suffered a stoke last year I found my interest in brain injury and communication coming together like magic. Dad has aphasia of the sort that has left him fluent, but making many word errors. He uses many "nonsense" words and has difficulty reading and understanding what is said to him.

When a speech therapist came to work with him, I discovered the speech-language pathology career path, which I am exploring by taking courses online through Longwood University. Am I too old for this radical career change? I have to think not. I love to learn, am intrigued by our unique human ability to use language, and know that I need to do something helpful and worthwhile. Volunteer experience so far has been touching. It feels right.

Wish me luck with my Anatomy and Physiology exam! Send positive energy this way on next Thursday morning.

No comments: