Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Cause Blogging

"It's not easy being green," croaked Kermit the Frog. This is one of my all-time favorite "quotes" and one that I paraphrase here: "It's not easy being a 1980s M.B.A.-turned-vegetarian-environmentalist."

Since leaving my traditional marketing career I've enjoyed freelance writing and consulting work that allows me to explore what it means to be a human being who is intricately tied to the web of life on planet earth. The more I look at the natural world, the more I am genuinely thrilled as I watch and learn about my living and non-living natural surroundings. Yes, that's me getting up close and personal with barnacles. A friend caught me (in the green shirt, of course) and other Virginia Master Naturalists watching and listening to them on the dock at New Quarter Park as we watched them chow down on a meal of whatever good stuff happens to float by.

Since becoming a vegetarian environmentalist I've challenged myself by participating in the Volunteer Chesapeake Steward (VoiCeS) training program offered by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. I am currently enrolled in the Historic Rivers Chapter, Virginia Master Naturalists program. I'm getting greener every day! And the good news is that more of us are becoming environmentally aware and doing something about it.

This blog as well as my Suite 101 posts allow me to "market" environmental events and ideas. As a marketing communicator, writing about and promoting the environmental cause is just ... natural.

No comments: